Canvas prints transform treasured photos and amazing designs into classy works of art. And that's just one of the reasons to choose canvas prints. Another question people often ask is whether to buy stretched or unstretched (rolled) canvas.
In a nutshell, stretched canvas is canvas that has been stretched over wood frame (stretcher bars) ready for display. Unstretched, also known as rolled canvas, is simply the print sans the stretcher bars. Here are more information that would help sort out your options.
Stretched Canvas Prints
- Price: With the labor and materials for stretching included, you can expect stretched canvas to be quite expensive. However, the brighter and sharper image from stretched canvas makes up for the price.
- Shipping: Stretched canvas needs to be packaged more securely. It requires more space and attention to protect the canvas and the stretcher bars. Hence, costs are higher.
- Framing and Mounting: You no longer need to worry about this because stretched canvas is ready for hanging. Since the printing company will take care of the stretching, there's a lower chance of damaging the print with guaranteed professional quality.
Unstretched (Rolled) Canvas Prints
- Price: It's more affordable than stretched canvas because you're only buying the print. Although custom frames or frame shop labor cost can add up to the total amount, be sure to calculate and compare before buying. Rolled canvas is also ideal for projects that don't require immediate setup.
- Shipping: Expect lower shipping costs for rolled canvas especially when ordering from overseas. It is conveniently delivered in a tube. There's less to worry about.
- Framing and mounting: Most people opt for rolled canvas because they get more freedom to plan the framing and mounting. You can stretch and frame the canvas on your own. You can also take it to a frame shop and have the framer stretch the canvas for a better fit.